My sister-in-law gave me the Gluten Free Bible Cookbook for my birthday and tonight, my husband and I tried out one of the recipes. Sometimes you just feel like having breakfast for dinner!
Raspberry & Cream Stuffed French Toast
- 6 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbs powdered sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 8 slices gluten-free white sandwich bread
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2/3 cup milk (we used almond milk)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
2. Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in small bowl; mix well. Spread evenly onto one side of half the bread slices. Sprinkle raspberries over half of bread; top with remaining bread slices, pressing down to flatten them.
3. Whisk milk, eggs, syrup and vanilla in a shallow dish. Dip sandwiches into egg mixture one at a time; let stand 5 minutes or until fully soaked. Shake off all excess. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
4. Spray large skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Add sandwiches in batches; cook 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown. Place on baking sheet.
5. Bake sandwiches 10 minutes or until bread is crisp and sandwiches are heated through. Slide sandwiches and sprinkle with additional powdered sugar, if desired. Garnish with additional raspberries.
We added a few pieces of bacon and some extra scrambled eggs for a big full dinner.