Friday, July 11, 2014

Pesto Chicken with Brussell Sprouts

This is a really easy recipe and I have a feeling I'll be going back to it frequently.

Basil Pesto Chicken with Brussell Sprouts
2 Cups of fresh basil leaves
1/2 cups of freshly grated Romano or Parmesan-reggiano cheese
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts
3 garlic cloves
salt and pepper to taste

All you do is combine the ingredients above in a blender or food processor.  I found that the amount above made a fairly creamy mix. I wanted it to be a little chunkier, but I didn't have any more leaves.  I did, however, have almost-bad asparagus in the fridge, so I salvaged about 3 whole stocks in addition to the tops (leafy bits) of 5 more.  I just threw them into the mix and re-blended.  It came out the perfect consistency that I wanted.   This made about 1.5 cups of pesto. 

Hubby grilled up some chicken on the bbq and we poured the pesto over the top of the chicken.  We had plenty of pesto left over, so I think this could easily feed 4.  We only used two medium-sized chicken breasts.

For our side dish, I prepared brussell sprouts boiled in chicken bouillon water.

(I've flipped the photo three times in my photo editing program, but it doesnt want to save. Sorry!) 


I didn't measure exact amounts. I used about 2 tablespoons of bouillon and filled with water until the brussell sprouts were about 1/3 covered with water. I used a pinch of salt and garlic to cover the veggies, put a top on the pan and let the brussell sprouts turn a bright green.  

Here was our finished meal: 


So delicious!  My husband raved about the veggies, and he doesn't even like brussell sprouts! 

We had a ton of leftover pesto and I was on my own for dinner tonight. I purchased pre-sliced large mushrooms and sauteed them in oil and garlic. 


I poured the leftover pesto onto the mushrooms and voila - another meal! 


Hope you enjoy! 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews