Thursday, June 12, 2014

Gluten-Free Orange Chicken

I've been gluten free for just over a month now. Eating out is a little difficult, with problems of cross contamination aplenty! My husband and I have been cooking at home a lot more.  I thought it would be helpful to highlight some good recipes that are gluten free that I have found.  I take no credit for any of these recipes and I will post the link to the original recipe any time I review one.  (See below recipe for link). This is simply a home for me to share some delicious recipes I have tried and tested myself. My goal is to do one a week, but I make no promises! 

I've been craving chinese food like crazy, and while our local chinese restaurant has some gluten free options, orange chicken is not one of them.  I haven't had Panda Express in a long time, and I happened upon a tasty gluten free Orange Chicken that is very similar to the one you get there. 

This recipe made just enough for my husband and me to share generous portions. But we're big eaters, so adjust as you see fit! I personally don't think it would reheat well, so I recommend only cooking what you will eat, but that's just me. 

Ingredients: 
  • 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • a dash of white pepper
  • oil (enough for frying)
  • 1/2 cup gf cornstarch, plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch 
  • 1/4 cup white rice flour 
  • 1 tablespoon ginger-root, minced 
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, minced 
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed hot red chill pepper
  • 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (the recipe called for this, but we forgot to add it, and it tasted just fine!) 
Orange Sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce (We have Tamari brand on hand) 
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons water
  • 5 tablespoons sugar
  • 5 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1 orange, zest of


We found most of our ingredients at Sprouts, which is my go-to for gluten free items. I also like Whole Foods, but I find Sprouts to be a bit cheaper.   I assure you, all of these items are gluten free. We stood in the vinegar aisle for the longest time, researching on our phones if white wine vinegar, and wine vinegar were gluten free. They are.  And they are two different items, so be careful to buy both.  

Instructions: 

1. Place chicken pieces in large bowl.
2. Stir in egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well.
3. Stir cornstarch and flour together.
4. Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat.
5. Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375 degrees.
6. Add chicken, small batches at a time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden crisp.



7. (Do not overcook chicken).
8. Remove chicken from oil, drain on paper towels; set aside.


9. Clean wok and heat 15 seconds over high heat.
10. Add 1 tablespoon oil.
11. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry about 10 seconds.
12. Add and stir-fry crushed chiles and green onions.
13. Add white wine vinegar and stir 3 seconds.

Quick word of advice: have all your ingredients pre-measured and ready to go by the time you are cooking. These steps move pretty fast and you don't want to burn your chicken/sauce.  We had bowls of the spices ready to go to just toss into the wok. 

14. Add Orange Sauce and bring to boil.


15. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed.
16. Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth and add to chicken.
17. Heat until sauce is thickned.
18. Stir in sesame oil and orange zest if desired. (We actually messed this part up, and added the orange zest into the orange sauce mixture, and completely forgot about the sesame oil. It tasted fine.) 

The original recipe called to serve over fried rice, but I did white rice instead.  Here's the finished meal! 


All in all, a GREAT recipe.  It was a bit fast moving and helped to have some of the ingredients measured  ahead of time.  This is definitely getting added to our go-to meals. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews